Trump chose Sater as senior adviser in 2010.
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
A federal judge has asked the Obama administration to shield from public disclosure court records related to the once-secret criminal history of a former Donald Trump business partner. In an unusual order prompted by an unsealing request from the Associated Press, U.S. District Judge Brian M. Cogan said that unless the Justice Department acts before April 18, he would decide whether to make the court files public under the assumption that federal prosecutors don't care.The defendants in the contempt case, Frederick Oberlander and Richard Lerner, are attorneys whom the government said revealed once-secret court records about Sater's crimes and cooperation.At issue in the case are statements that U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch – formerly the top prosecutor in Cogan's district – made about Sater's case before the Senate confirmed her last year.Court records already publicly available at the time showed that Sater was not ordered to pay restitution and the government never requested it.The New York judge has twice asked the Justice Department to pursue contempt charges against the two lawyers who revealed Sater's cooperation.Sater's attorney, Robert Wolf, said the judge was right.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE